The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) maintains an electronic file of information on each Illinois license holder. This online system is known as the Educator Licensure System, or ELIS. Information on ELIS may be accessed through ISBE.
The ELIS/educator credentials portal allows teachers to:
- Confirm their credentials.
- Register and renew their licenses.
- Apply for new licenses.
- Request additional endorsements.
- Monitor pending applications.
- Confirm the positions for which they are "highly qualified" in relation to the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB).
ELIS also provides the convenience of electronic submission and credit card payments for license applications.
The administrator portal allows district administrators to easily access educator credentials for purposes of identifying, managing and evaluating teacher placements. This includes confirmation of license and subject assignments for which teachers are "highly qualified" in relation to NCLB.
Licensure candidates are encouraged to visit the ELIS information site and establish a personal ELIS account. There is no charge for this service.
Create Your ELIS Account Access Your ELIS Account